Resources for up-to-date information
Gulf Coast Fund in the News:
Community-based Resources & Blogs:
- Louisiana Bucket Brigade's Oil Spill crisis map - This map visualizes reports of the effects of the BP oil spill submitted via text message, email, twitter and the web.
- Gulf Restoration Network - United for a healthy gulf
- Waterkeeper Alliance: Save Our Gulf blog
- Crisis Wiki - hub for collecting resources
- Communities on the Horizon - link your site to this website to follow the progress of the spill
- On The Hill - Inside the chambers of the U.S. Congress and the halls of Washington policymaking.
- Oil On The Beach Blog - Anti-offshore drilling blog
- Dirty Cajuns - People Helping Protect & Clean Up Louisiana's Wetlands After The BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill
- The Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation was established in response to environmental concerns voiced throughout the Basin.
- Krewe of Truth – A political blog written by Louisianans with extensive coverage of local communities seeking environmental justice in the wake of the BP Oil Drilling Disaster.
- Advocates for Environmental Human Rights – a nonprofit, public interest law firm fighting for the basic human rights of people adversely affected by the BP Oil Drilling Disaster
- LA Coast Post – A blog dedicated to reporting on “all things coastal” including extensive coverage of the BP Oil Drilling Disaster.
- Library Chronicles – A blog that frequently post about all issues in Louisiana, with great coverage of the BP Oil Drilling Disaster, and a wealth of other resources and links.
- VatulBlog – A well-written and very accessible blog written by a Kuwaiti geologist/technologist living in New Orleans, with coverage, links, resources about the BP Oil Drilling Disaster
- Help the Gulf Coast Heal – a blog dedicated to assisting in the rescue and recovery of wildlife and addressing other needs in the affected area
- Website of Marion Laney – Realtor and community activist in Mobile and Dauphin Island.
- Riki Ott - Official website of author, activist, and public speaker Riki Ott, author of “Not One Drop – Betrayal and Courage in the Wake of the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill”
- Defend New Orleans - cool tumblr-style blog with lots of information, videos, images, and merchandise. Extremely accessible and geared toward a younger crowd.
- Defend the Coast - Defend New Orleans’ campaign in response to the BP Oil Drilling Disaster, encouraging visitors to get actively involved in protecting the Gulf Coast.
- T.E.J.A.S. - The Texas Environmental Justice Advocacy Services is a Houston-based organization dedicated to a cleaner, greener Texas
- The Switchboard - The Blog of the Natural Resources Defense Council
- The Bridge The Gulf Project - a collaborative digital story-telling project between GCF and Leah Mahan & the makers of the film "Turkey Creek"
Major News Media and Nonprofit Organizations
Articles of Note
- “After oil disasters, there is outrage, then delay,” by Kris Hundley (Tampa Bay Times)
- “Sex, Drugs & the Spill,” by Paul Krugman (New York Times)
- “The Crisis Comes Ashore,” Al Gore (The New Republic)
- “Gulf spill a lesson nation must heed: Clean energy legislation will protect our coasts, create jobs,” by Benjamin L. Cardin (The Baltimore Sun)
- The 7 Stupidest Statements Made About the BP Gulf Oil Spill
- “The Politics of Disaster: Will Gulf tragedy bring real change?” by Chris Kromm (Institute of Southern Studies)
- "BP makes enough profit in four days to cover the costs of the spill cleanup thus far," by Alex Seitz-Wald (Think Progress)
- "Exxon Valdez: a glimpse of the future for Louisiana?" by Cindy Chang (The Times-Picayune, nola.com)